Accessible Bathroom Cleaning Guide | More Ability
Published: 14 April 2016
All bathrooms require a regular clean to keep everything fresh, safe and comfortable to use.
We know however this can be difficult for those who may struggle with mobility.
This cleaning guide offers tips and tricks on how to simply clean items around your bathroom whilst answering your FAQs.
How to clean anti-slip vinyl flooring
Anti-slip vinyl flooring often named non-slip vinyl flooring textured surface helps to prevent slips and falls and is known for its hard wearing and low maintenance properties.
It can be cleaned by following these steps below:
- Spray a cup (or two for bigger bathrooms) of washing detergent across the floor ad let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a warm wet mop wipe down the floor working on a small section at a time.
- Dry the area with an old clean towel or if you wish to skip this step let the floor air by leaving your window wide open and the bathroom door closed.
How to clean Wall boards
We often recommend the installation of wallboards as they are a low maintenance wall covering due to having no grout lines. They do however need a wipe a minimum of once week to avoid dirt build up. Follow these three simple steps below:
- Create a warm soapy water solution mixed with washing up liquid or your choice multipurpose bathroom cleaner.
- Once you have wiped the entire area rinse clean with water.
- Wipe down with a micro fibre cloth to avoid any watermarks.
How to clean tiles
To clean bathroom tiles you will need to clean both the tile area and the grout lines.
To avoid having to do undergo a vigorous clean, particularly in your shower area. Wipe down tiles daily with a multi-purpose bathroom or tile cleaner and clean cloth, rinse with water and wipe down with a micro fibre cloth.
How to clean tile grout
Stained grout can make your entire bathroom look and feel unclean. To maintain and or remove stains follow these steps below:
- If you wish to complete a clean using natural products you can use vinegar and baking soda.
- Mix the baking soda with water to make a spreadable paste.
- Apply the mix to your tile grout lines.
- Let it sit whilst you create in a spare spray bottle a mix equal amounts of white vinegar and warm water.
- Spray the vinegar solution onto the grout lines and let it sit for approximately 5 minutes.
- Rinse clean with water and wipe down with a clean cloth or mop if your are cleaning your bathroom floor tiles.
If you don’t wish to do the above you can use a specialist grout cleaner and follow the instructions of the back of the bottle.
How to clean accessible toilets
Regular toilet cleaning is required to ensure it is safe and comfortable to use.
Starting from the outside in, use rubber gloves and a toilet cleaning solution or multi-purpose cleaner and a toilet brush or sponge ( keep these items for toilet use only).
1) At the rim of your toilet add your toilet cleaning solution inside the toilet bowl.
2) Let the solution soak and start to clean the exterior of your toilet by spraying the cleaning solution in all areas of your toilet (including inside the lid) and give it a wipe down with your cloth or sponge.
3) Spray and wipe your toilet seat with a separate cloth used for the toilet exterior.
4) Scrub inside the toilet bowl with a toilet brush including under the rim and bottom of the bowl. Once clean, close your toilet lid and give it a flush.
Cleaning wash & dry toilets
Most wash and dry toilets are designed to self-clean after every use. You will however need to the outer bowl which you can do by following the instructions above.
It is recommended to not use bleach within wash and dry toilets.
How to clean accessible showers
To avoid having to do a vigorous clean we recommend you clean the inside of your accessible shower regularly by following the steps for wall boards or tiles, depending to what you have installed.
Cleaning shower heads
To remove grime build up this simple tip below keeps your shower clean sparkly clean with minimal work:
1) Add a generous amount of white vinegar into a carrier bag and tie the bag over your shower head allowing it to soak without it touching the bottom of the bag or if your shower head is removable take it off and it to a bucket filled with vinegar.
2) let the shower head sit for a maximum of 30 minutes or until you see that the build up deposits have dissipated.
4) Once dissipated remove the bag and run warm water through the showerhead and brush any spots that may have been left behind with an old toothbrush.To help with avoid any future built up regularly wipe down your shower head with a multiple purpose cleaner and clean sponge and rinse.
Accessible shower trays
Regularly spray your shower tray with a multi-purpose shower cleaning solution and let it soak for a minimum of three minutes or longer if you have more stubborn stains.
Use a sponge to wipe the shower tray down and or a brush if you have more stubborn marks the give your shower tray a good rinse with warm water.
How do I clean my shower seat?
Although many shower seats and benches have an antibacterial surface they should be cleaned regularly to help prevent water marks and any dirt build up.
After use - wipe dry all areas of your seat with a microfibre cloth.
On a weekly basis use a mild multipurpose bathroom cleaner and clean cloth, wipe down the area and rinse clean again drying with a dry microfibre cloth.
How to clean bathroom grab rails
Grab rails can be simply cleaned by regularly using a multi-purpose bathroom cleaner and a clean cloth to help to avoid dirt build up.
For chrome grab rails wipe down with a baby wipe and buff dry with a soft cloth. Following this, and for the ultimate shine, apply a small amount of baby oil onto the same soft cloth (or cotton wool), apply & buff dry. Ensure the grab rail is completely dry before using as the surface may be slippery.
To learn more about grab rails read our Bathroom rails buying guide.
To find out more accessible shower cleaning tips or to find out more information about our full design and fit service please call a friendly member of our team or book a free design appointment online.
Share this Post